The MB Sketchfest is Manila Bulletin’s annual popular on-the-spot drawing and sketching contest, for its 2019 edition the chosen them is “Fiestas and Colors of the Philippines” – a reflection of the nation’s unique and colorful festivals in support of our local culture.
Such a theme was inspired by the many fiestas and festivals that go on year-round in the Philippines; not only do these traditional events show the uniqueness of the regions, they also mirror the Filipino culture as a symbol of our national identity.
“The Manila Bulletin firmly supports the propagation of Filipino culture by focusing on the unique and colorful festivals that are celebrated in the various islands of the Philippines,” said Manila Bulletin Executive Vice President Sonny Coloma.
This will be the ninth year of the MB Sketchfest. At last year’s edition, 2,684 people joined the contest, showing the growing popularity of the competition.
The categories of the MB Sketchfest 2019 are as fellows:
- Kiddie (children 12 years old and below)
- Junior (13 to 18 years old); and,
- Senior (19 years and older)
Three winners from each category of the various nationwide legs of Sketchfest will receive cash prizes and may be featured in the Manila Bulletin newspaper. A special Exhibition Category will also be held for wall-bound and ready-for-hanging artworks of any medium (original and theme-based).
Here are the important dates to remember for the nationwide Sketchfest:
- Davao Leg: June 22 at at the Annex Event Center, SM City Davao
- Deadline of submissions: June 15
- Cebu Leg: July 27 at the Mountain Wing Atrium of SM Seaside Cebu
- Deadline of submissions: July 20
- Luzon Leg: August 26 at the Music Hall of SM Mall of Asia
- Deadline of submissions: August 19
- Exhibition Category: Submissions to Manila Bulletin’s main office in Intramuros, Manila
- Submissions: Between June 17 and August 9
Participants may pre-register online at sketchfest2019.mb.com.ph within the given deadlines. They may also register on-site by filling out an application form and presenting a valid ID which bears the participant’s date of birth. We can’t wait to see what works will turn up at the MB Sketchfest 2019!