50-year-old Renee Zellweger, star of the Bridget Jones series, was almost unrecognizable in her portrayal of belvoed actress-singer Judy Garland during the trailer of Judy, a biopic based on the last year of Garland’s life.
In the trailer, Zellweger performs a downbeat version of the iconic song “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz (1939), which a 16-year-old Garland performed and starred in. Other films Garland appeared in were 1944’s Meet Me In St. Louis and the 1954 version of A Star Is Born.
Judy will focus on the moments Garland struggled with her health during a trip to London for a series of concerts. The actress died in London in June 1969 of an accidental drug overdose at the age of 47.
Zellweger said she took voice lessons and spent two hours a day in make-up getting prosthetics and wigs for the Judy Garland role. She appeared in the 2002 musical film Chicago, and won a supporting actress Oscar in 2004 for her role in Cold Mountain.
Garland’s daughter, Liza Minnelli, says she never met or spoke with Zellweger and has distanced herself from the film. “I do not approve nor sanction the upcoming film about Judy Garland in any way,” Minnelli wrote in a Facebook posting in June 2018.
“Judy” comes out in September 2019. Story from Reuters.
Check out our other film-related pieces below:
- Sylvester Stallone returns to produce “The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil” English remake
- Academy Award-winners Olivia Colman and Anthony Hopkins band for “The Father”
- Audrey Hepburn exhibition “Intimate Audrey” to celebrate late actress’ 90th birthday
- “Star Wars” Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew passes away aged 74
- Mel Gibson returning to the big screen as Santa Claus in “Fatman”